Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Fragment of the Past

Journey of Man

I'm not much of a history buff, but I must admit that there are certain topics about the past that really interest me. I remember having watched this very interesting episode one late night on the National Geographic channel. I'm quite positive that the title of that episode was The Journey of Man. Perhaps it's the same one as the picture featured here. In that episode, a group of geneticists have worked on the question of how the human race populated the world. They arrived at a startling conclusion that the "global family tree" can be traced to one  African man who lived 60,000 years ago. So, why the sudden interest in this, huh? I guess it's 'coz of the article that I read yesterday on Google news. The article's title caught my attention as I glanced at the day's headlines. It read "Archaeologists unearth 67,000-year-old human bone in Philippines." 
This was the photo in the article, a foot bone discovered at the Callao caves near PeƱablanca, 210 miles north of Manila. Here's a little more info on Callao Cave. It's interesting indeed how I have never even heard of the place nor have I been anywhere near it. Anyway, back to the article, it seems that at this time, this could be the earliest human fossil found in the Asia-Pacific region according to the professor who headed the discovery team way back in 2007. It would be amazing if they could indeed make more discoveries. Perhaps this would give us more clues to our past. So who were these early people? And where did they come from? Would this mean that early humans already possessed knowledge of sea travel? Or even better, did they have the know-how on how to build a boat? Wow! So many questions remain unanswered. It's mysteries such as this that I truly find interesting. Let's hope that we'll find some answers eventually. On that note, I end my blog for today. It's almost the weekend once again. May you take the time to enjoy it! Till next time... Ta-tah! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I'd love to hear from you... ^_^