Friday, April 16, 2010

Insomnia and Me


By definition, insomnia is "difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both" and it may be due to inadequate quality or quantity of sleep. (emedicinehealth.com)
And now I thought of this topic, maybe because I seem to have unusual sleeping patterns. I'm not quite sure if that's a reason for me to panic or seek medical attention. Perhaps being a bum is quite contributory to my present condition as well. According to the above article, most adults have experienced insomnia or sleeplessness at one time or another in their lives. An estimated 30%-50% of the general population are affected by insomnia, and 10% have chronic insomnia.

Insomnia may be caused by a host of different reasons. These causes may be divided into situational factors, medical or psychiatric conditions, or primary sleep problems. Perhaps it's all in my mind. After all, I'm used to staying up late. Plus the fact that I've always been a night owl as far as I can remember. I love being wide awake at night when the rest of the world is asleep -- well at least the part of the world I'm in. I think better at night and love the peace and quiet of the surroundings.

The main focus of treatment for insomnia should be directed towards finding the cause. Once a cause is identified, it is important to manage and control the underlying problem, as this alone may eliminate the insomnia. Treating the symptoms of insomnia without addressing the main cause is rarely successful. Hmm, perhaps what I need is to find something better to do during the day. I hate it that most of the good tv shows are shown late at night. Maybe I should regulate cable tv watching as well. LOL! ^_^ Anyhow, I still believe that whatever I'm going through right now is temporary. I'm just enjoying my free time as much as I can because my schedule may bound to change in the weeks to come. And so until that happens, I will be writing in the wee hours of the morning! Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite! :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for visiting and I'd love to hear from you... ^_^